Did the Health Department miss them, or were they just not there?
The KFC/Taco Bell in Greenwich Village, the very restaurant that was shut down on Friday after CBS 2 cameras caught dozens of rats scurrying across the store, jumping on tables, and climbing into food trays, received a clean bill of health from the NYC Health Department the day before.
Health officials said the restaurant located at Sixth Avenue and West 4th Street was investigated Thursday following complaints, but the inspector didn’t see any rats. In addition, the same restaurant passed both of its inspections last year. Now the Health Department has closed the store, and said it will remain closed until it passes re-inspection.
Added former KFC/Taco Bell employee Marcus Bonner: “I quit because it was nasty. They don’t use gloves to make the food. They use the same grease day after day after day. At night, the manager told me to put the chairs up. We don’t sweep; we don’t mop. So that’s what the rats are eating off, the stuff that’s left on the floors.”